• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to get my doctor to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaiDie4

Bluelighter
Okay, so ever since I got mono back in late Febuary, I've been getting really sore throats periodically. I know it's most likely that infections have lingered in my tonsils since the mono (this is what my doctor tells me), and I am getting them removed in 8 days.

This is all fine and good, but today I woke up with the worst sore throat ever :| (ive been bitching about it on various BL threads ;) ) I'm so sick (literally!) of this shit. Everytime this has happened my doctor doesn't do much about it. When I had mono, I went to the ER for 3 days, I couldn't eat or drink and I was crying from pain- at the hospital I got morphine but once I got home I was just perscribed this lame codiene\tylenol syrup that didn't do shit. I cannot afford to go to the hospital for some REAL pain meds every time I get sick! Hopefully once my tonsils are out this will stop, but in the meantime I feel terrible.

How can I legitamently explain my problems to my doctor and ask for some decent painkillers without sounding like a druggie?? I have told him about my pain levels and he acts like there is nothing he can do about it. im not trying to trick or decieve him in anyway, I have a very low pain threshold and I can't go for days without hardly being able to eat or swallow :( Basically yeh, im kind of a weiny about this, but why should I have to be in pain when there are drugs out that can help me?? It doesn't make sense. I fear that when I get my tonsils taken out I will be in severe pain (worse than this) with no relief, and I really can't take that. :|

Help?

You can come straight out and tell him that you want a pain killer for your throat. Just be straight with the doctor and express how you really feel. The thing is, if you are sort of bluffing yourself, and you don't really feel that you need it, that will show. But if you honestly know that this just isn't right, then your honest emotions and anger will show through and you will communicate with the doctor as a human being instead of a cog in the machine. But I can't stress enough not to fake it, because if there is some sort of hesitation or guilt or trickery in your head, it'll come out and make things feel off, and the doctor will spot it in an instant because they think about that kind of shit all day.

Are you sure that syrup isn't good enough? You know that there is a whole genera of music based on it, right? Let alone countless other songs outside the specific realm of screwed music.

Have you tried mixing it with some sprite and putting some jolly ranchers in it and sipping on it throughout the day?

Just be straight forward, is your best bet....at this point. Plus, you only have eight days.

^ Thanks guys, thats pretty much what I did. I was just honest that I wanted something that really worked, and you could tell from my face that I was in legit pain (I couldn't even talk, I had to write him notes on Post-It's to communicate!)

So it turns out that I have tonsilitis. My surgery is being moved becuse he said I most likely won't be well enough by then to have them removed. He ended up giving me a liquid form of Lortab (7.5 hydro\500 apap) which is working pretty well. Im still in pain, but its better than it was. Thanks for your help guys.

Thank you MC <3

Well, I've been talking the liquid Lortab elixar as directed (2-4 tsp every 4-6 hrs, needed for pain). The problem is, it worked decently the 1st and 2nd doses but now all it is doing is making me really fucked up (high) but not really doing much for the pain. I never thought I'd complain about getting buzzed, but im so tired of feeling all loopy, I just want to be better :( At this point should I just suck it up and know I'll improve in a few days, or could there be something better I should request? I realise that doctors aren't miracle workers, and that this isn't supposed to be comfortable, but none the less I'd like like to get the best treatment possible as a paying patient.

The pain is in my tonsil area (obviously) and in my ears, espechally one side in particular is really swollen and infected. Anyone have any recommendations (either medication to request or home remedies?) that may help me? In addition to my painkiller, I am also perscribed a steroid and antiboitic, and hopefully those will kick in soon.

Thanks for the help, and for listening to me whine a bit guise :\

that sucks you still have so much pain. My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed a couple months ago and they gave her the Tylenol with codeine and it worked great for her. A couple doses and the pain was pretty much gone. She slept a ton though. What a crappy two weeks. Can you up your dosage some? I should note the tylenol/codeine didn't work until we double the original dose. ( ok'd it with drs first of course.) Hope you feel better. I hate sore throats. Rather have anything else.

Ahhh that sucks sweetie <3 i hope you feel better soon. all i can recommend besides the painkillers is heat to help ease your pain. i'm sure you've chugged plenty of hot tea, but besides that i have this hot/cold pack thing that is reusable and you just heat it up in the microwave and put it on you. it does wonders for jaw and throat pain. you could try that or a really hot towel. it might help... it's worth a shot. i did it when i had dry sockets from having my wisdom teeth pulled.

^ Good idea firefighter, thank you :) That sounds very relaxing. And I have been sipping on tea too, which helps. I appriciate the advice dear <3

Status
Not open for further replies.